We live in the era of “how many followers do you have?’ Believe it or not, having a large following on Instagram can be used as leverage for free products, paid gigs. and cheap travel. Recently, my interest in Instagram has peaked because I am working on a couple of projects and a few business models (coming soon). We will be exploring my top ten marketing strategies for Instagram (most of them that I learned about this week).
1. Formulate a simple pattern and color scheme for your Instagram. Your picture can follow a similar structure of picture + video + quote or it can be all pictures, but you should still have a set design to follow for your Instagram. Currently, I am using ‘Buffer’ to plan all of the
pictures that will be posted on my new Instagram ‘ZariaamberLit’ in advance. Also, I suggest using the same two or three filters on all of your pictures and videos to keep your page in a homogeneous state.
2. Add a mixture of quotes, pictures, and videos on your page. Although people love structure, we also love variety as well. When you only post selfies or quotes, followers tend to perceive your page as dry. There’s not a lot of reason to follow someone who seems to post the same picture everyday, unless you know them.
3. Study your pictures and videos that get the most engagement and figure out “why?” The visual world of Instagram can be very shallow. Find out what it is about you that makes people go crazy with the double tap button. For me, it is my selfie game. When I take an up close & personal selfie of my face, people tend to go crazy. However, you also have a WOW factor that you probably have not noticed yet. It does not have to be physical because you could have the best memes, the best motivational videos, the best music, etc.
4. Turn on post notifications for the influencers you admire and would like to emulate on IG. As soon as they post a picture, make sure you comment something clever, funny or thoughtful on their page. DO NOT MARKET YOURSELF UNDER THEIR PAGE because its weird and annoying. Be natural and accentuate the best part of you.
5. Make sure your friends are commenting on your page and supporting you. If you have a business or trade that you are trying to market, let your friends know how important it is for their comments under your pictures.
6. Join an engagement group, matter of fact, join as many as you can. Some of us do not have the luxury of having amazing, supportive friends, so this is the solution for the loners and introverts. There is a downside to having so many engagement groups. You have to like and comment on pictures to receive, and a lot of times it can be very time consuming.
7. Ask your followers questions on your Instagram page and stories. Instagram stories are known for generating the most engagement amongst people because they have plenty of features — polls, questions, gifs, etc.
8. Be personal. Make your captions tell a story, respond to the people who speak to you, and initiate conversation. You have followers for a reason because they want to see who you are, how you think, and what you do. Take advantage of their interest, and use Instagram as a display for your most authentic self. We all want to be seen, and in this case, you are very well seen. Don’t fall into the trap of becoming whoever people want you to be. Be YOU, Be FREE, Be HONEST because people gone mess with you off of the strength of you being real.
9. Plug your Instagram every chance you get. Plug your business. Plug your talents. Plug your skills. Network. When you meet new people, exchange Instagrams over numbers, especially if they are millennial.
10. Last but not least, if you are selling a product, pay MICRO-influencers. Give freebies and PR packages to people who have a semi-large following with good engagement from their followers. If they have too many followers, they sometimes have less persuasion on their audience because they probably promote a lot of different products on their page.
In conclusion, if you want to make it on Instagram, you have to go hard but plan even harder!!!